Ways to Travel
Copenhagen has an efficient public transport system that includes buses, metros, trains, and S-trains. You can get around the city easily using any of these options. Below you find also some extra pictures.
- Rejsekort (Recommended): A cost-effective debit card for public transport.
- Single Ride Pass: Buy this at vending machines at train stations.
- DOT App: For single tickets (limited to Greater Copenhagen Area).
- Commuter Pass: Requires special qualifications.
Why Use Rejsekort?
Rejsekort is a contactless card that you preload with money. It’s recommended because you pay about half the price per ride compared to single ride passes.
Where to Get It?
You can get a Rejsekort at the airport or major train stations from blue ticket vending machines.
How to Use It?
- Check-In: Hold your card against the green contactless stations with blue dots, and wait for a sound that confirms your check-in.
- During Transfer: If you switch between transport types or stations, remember to check-in again.
- Check-Out: At your final destination, hold your card against the blue “Check-Ud” machines to check out. It will show your card’s balance.
💡 Tip: Only check out at your final stop, not during transfers.
How to Recharge It?
To add money to your Rejsekort, use the blue machines. Insert your card, add the amount you want, and complete the transaction. Note: Money added to the card can’t be refunded.
For any issues with your Rejsekort, visit Rejsekort Support.
DOT App – An Alternative for Single Tickets
If you forget your Rejsekort or lose it, the DOT app is an alternative. It’s limited to Sjælland island (where Copenhagen is).
How to Use DOT App?
- Download the DOT App.
- Select the number of zones you need (the map in the app will help).
- Enter your credit/debit card information.
- Purchase and display the ticket in the app if checked by a controller.
💡 Note: The ticket has a time limit based on the number of zones selected.
Pricing and Zones
- Prices depend on the number of zones you travel through.
- With Rejsekort, the fare is automatically deducted.
- During weekdays (11 am – 1 pm and after 6 pm) and weekends, you get a 20% discount.
Paying in Buses
In buses, if you don’t have a Rejsekort, you can only pay with cash.
🚨 You cannot buy tickets onboard. If caught without a ticket, there’s a fine of 750 DKK (about 100 EUR).
Happy Travelling in Copenhagen! 🚃